Insanity, as they say, is doing the same thing over & over, and expecting different results. So, if you have been trying repeatedly to “cure” diabetes with medications and have not been successful, you must stop the “madness” and do something different. If you have been doing your best and your condition has either not changed or gotten worse, it is clearly time to do something different.
A good way to think about doing something different is to use Blue Ocean Strategy’s Four Actions Framework. For one, you will have good company. Such famous names as Amazon, Apple, Salesforce, Gillette, and Southwest Airlines have used this approach to swim away from the bloody read oceans of competition and instead create blue oceans of uncontested market space (that is how they grew and became famous). You could do the same. You could use this framework to swim away from the bloody red ocean of the grip of exhausting Diabetes, to the blue ocean of energetic, healthy space.
How do you do that? I have distilled the essence by highlighting the Top 2 actions you need to take in each category of the four actions framework. (I have provided hyperlinks so you can do your own research and validate them)
- Eliminate Breakfast. Intermittent Fasting is now a proven way of regulating your metabolism. And the easiest way to implement this is by eliminating breakfast. (This was such an important discovery that Yoshinori Ohsumi, got a Nobel Prize for discovering autophagy and scientifically validating the beneficial effects of fasting. So, you would do well to sit up and take notice)
- Eliminate grains and sugars. Grains and sugars spike the glucose in your blood, and over time create what is called as insulin resistance. By eliminating grains and sugars, you eliminate insulin resistance – one of the key root causes of diabetes
- Reduce Carbohydrates. Don’t get me wrong. Carbohydrates are important. But we have been given wrong advice on how much is needed for us to live healthy lives. When we were back in the fields toiling all day, or in the jungle running away from this animal or that – we may have needed more carbohydrates; but those conditions don’t apply to most of us. You now have a choice – either go back to the fields or the jungle and live a physically intense life, or drastically reduce carbohydrates. (I would choose to reduce carbohydrates any day)
- Reduce Proteins. For most of us, this statement would be true, thanks to the overemphasis on proteins (honestly, can you think of anyone you know personally who had their muscles eaten up because they didn’t have enough protein?). While proteins don’t spike sugar as much as carbohydrates, they do cause a spike. Moderate protein is the right way to go.
- Increase the good fats. We have been so conditioned to thinking that fat is bad that we have ended up dramatically cutting down on ALL fats when we should have eliminated the bad fats and dramatically increased the good fats.
- Increase home cooked meals. While it is convenient to eat out, eat packaged food, and eat pre-prepared meals – it comes at a cost. While these are good as occasional treats, they are not good in the amounts we have gotten used to, mainly because most of them are filled with chemicals, preservatives, bad fats, carbs and sugars. The good news – once you find the right resources, there are plenty of recipes that are easy to make, delicious to eat, leave you satiated, and keep you healthy & energetic.
- Create a healthy mindset, a vision that you will be healthy and energetic and won’t “settle” for anything less. Necessity, they say, is the mother of invention. This strong vision, this “necessity” for health will create the burning YES within that is so important to have the strength to say NO to the many temptations and distractions that you will invariably bump into. Equally important, this will give you a good yardstick to evaluate all the advice (often unsolicited!) you will get from well-meaning friends and family (that is rarely based on proof and evidence).
- Create a healthy environment. Remove all temptations from the kitchen. Join a good forum with like-minded people.
You are probably feeling overwhelmed. You are thinking, “Where do I start?” Well, one good way to get going is to join dlife.in where their entire focus is helping you through the journey outlined above. Good luck!